Top Ten Tuesday: What I'm Watching!



This week's TTT is a TV themed freebie. As Autumn draws in the TV always steps up it's game and there's loads of good stuff on at the moment. Here's a few of the things I've been loving. (Only got seven this week, sorry!)



Victoria



So far this has exceeded my expectations for one prime reason - Rufus Sewell. Sewell plays Lord Melbourne, the Prime Minister and supposedly first love of Jenna Coleman's young Victoria. Albert comes in to it next week but I'm struggling to see how he's going to compete. This is a lavish costume drama from ITV, and I'm still smarting over the fact that I COULD HAVE BEEN AN EXTRA IN THIS. I got the call, but I was working :( Devastated.

Poldark



If Rufus Sewell wasn't enough on a Sunday night, now we've got Aidan Turner to boot. They're spoiling us. Series two of Poldark is based on the second and third books, which are the most drama packed, so we're in for a good series I think. (Also, to my relief, they're making some changes to the events at the end of Warleggan. If you've read the books you'll know what I mean, I think.)



Strictly Come Dancing



I don't know if I'd quite call myself a Strictly superfan, but I've only missed one series since it started, so I guess I'm close. Looks like a good line up this year - favourite pairings so far are Greg and Natalie and Melvin and Janette. And Judge Rinder is going to be hilarious.



Happy Valley



Just finished watching this on Netflix and would heartily recommend. Police dramas are really not my thing but I binge-watched the first series in an evening and the second was good too, although not as tense. The writing and acting is faultless and the characters are very real. It's grim and violent, but there's still plenty of humour. It's also very disturbing to see Prince Andrei/Granchester as the psychopathic villain.



Nashville



Season 4 has finally come to the UK and... it's not quite as good so far. But I'm still enjoying it.  Scarlett gets on my nerves nowadays and I can't see where they're going with the Juliette story-line - but the songs are still fab, particularly Layla's stuff.  If I Didn't Know Better (from the first ever episode) is still my favourite though.


The Great British Bake Off




Usually I hate cooking shows, but this is baking, so it's different! Plus the contestants are always so warm and likeable, and I love Paul (flying the flag for the Wirral!) and Mary.


First Dates



I'm not normally big on reality tv, and dating shows make me cringe. First Dates does too, but it's worth suffering for because it's just so sweet. There's no gimmick, it's just ordinary people matched up on honest blind dates that the producers and the audience actually want to go well. They try to match them up properly, with people they'd be suited with. Obviously it doesn't always work out, but a lot of the time it does. I liked the celebrity version too but it was basically the same - none of them were particularly famous.








Comments

  1. Hi Catherine! Whoo hoo! I have never seen Victoria around, but YEA for listing it! Now I can go stalk it somewhere. That Poldark show really is doing the rounds and I've never heard of it... Is that bad? And NASHVILLE! Gosh I love that show! Thanks for sharing your great list and here's my TTT: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/09/top-ten-tuesday-its-lost-cause.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! Poldark's only on it's second series so not been around long, but it's good, books are too :)

      Delete
  2. First Dates sounds like a good one. I wish we had that here!! Great Top 10! My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they did a 'First dates abroad' in all different countries, but I don't know if they actually showed it abroad! thanks :D

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes - The Great British Bake-Off is SO AWESOME. I discovered it around a year ago & have been obsessed with it ever since. I love that while Mary and Paul are definitely critical & don't go easy on the contestants, they're also NICE to them and don't try to devastate them if they make a mistake (which seems to be the norm in cokking shows??).
    Awesome list! :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that too, that they don't say things just to be horrible, they judge properly - although they can still be harsh! Thanks :D

      Delete
  4. I really liked the latest season of Nashville. It's a little less dramatic than the previous seasons, but still good. And Maddie is the one who's getting on my nerves. I need to see if I can find the rest of these shows on your list. I'm always looking for more good shows based out of the UK. The writing is usually immensely better than a lot of American/Hollywood shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Maddie annoys me too, haha. I think because UK shows have less episodes the writing has less chance to go downhill, which could be the problem - and I think they have Poldark and GBBO in America now, don't know about the rest!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever seen Rufus Sewell before The Man in the High Castle. Then I thought he was hot. I want to watch Victoria but I do not ave cable :( All my shows are in Netflix or Amazon.

    When I saw Brad Simpson in the Celebrity First Date I wanted to die o jealousy! I have a super crush on him

    Love Poldark!
    Have you watched Outlander?
    Thanks for stopping today to our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watched the first series of Outlander but can't see the rest as I don't have Amazon Prime :( Really want to watch the Man in the High Castle too!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love Jenna Coleman, I should check out Victoria, although I'm not sure if it even airs int the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been really good in it so far! I bet it'll come to the States at some point though, it's doing really well over here :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited for season 2 of Poldark, though I'm not even finished with season 1 yet! I have only read the first book, so I'm kind of curious about what they're changing. I'm so behind on Nashville, but I agree with you that If I Didn't Know Better is the best song in the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great you're enjoying Poldark! (first season is the second book too though, so careful of spoilers!) It's a good change, don't worry - needed to be done I think. And yeah, 'If I didn't know better' is definitely the best :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!