WWW Wednesdays: A Town Like Alice, After You, Harry Potter, The Prestige


WWW Wednesday is a link-up  hosted at Taking on a World of Words. To join in just answer the three W's (What have you been reading, what are you currently reading and what are you planning to read next) and post your link.




What I've been reading...

A Town Like Alice - by Nevil Shute



I had no idea what to expect from this book, all I knew was that Australia or Australians featured in some way. But I really enjoyed it - Jean Paget is my new hero. Based very loosely on a true story, this is quite an old-fashioned novel about an English girl who finds herself a prisoner of the Japanese in Malaysia during World War Two, along with a number of other women and children. It's an easy read, there's romance and the characters are good. Only problem was the racist language and attitude towards the aborigines - which was odd, considering the book wasn't racist towards the Japanese or the Malaysians. There's also an old black-and-white film - it's on my to-watch list.


After You - by Jojo Moyes 




The sequel to Me Before You, this follows Lou Clark after she returns from her travels. I could have done without this book, to be honest. Although the original sounded miserable in theory, I didn't actually feel miserable while reading it. Also, it had a plot and a point, whereas this just meandered. Lou was likeable as ever and I suppose it's realistic that she would still be struggling. But After You was just depressing on every level. The ending was okay and it was a quick read, but I don't think I could recommend.



What I'm currently reading...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K Rowling



This is the Harry Potter book I've re-read the least, so I thought I should refresh my memory a little (who am I kidding, I don't really need to) before I go and see Cursed Child. I'm not going to read the play first but if someone gives me spoilers before November I swear... Anyway I'd forgotten how exciting Deathly Hallows is. There's so much action! It might even be my favourite if it wasn't for a couple of things.


What I'm reading next...

The Prestige - by Christopher Priest



I bought The Prestige for a pound in a charity shop last week. I didn't know there was a book, but I liked the film so hopefully it's just as good.


What have you been reading lately? Anyone know if The Prestige is worth reading? Have you read A Town Like Alice or After You? Let me know in the comments :D




Comments

  1. I have seen the movie of A Town Like Alice but I have never read the book!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/wednesday-catch-up-3rd-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the book, I think the film only covers the first half though? Still really want to see it :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're getting to SEE The Cursed Child! I hope you love it; I hear it's amazing :-)

    I'm so excited to finally find someone else who will have read The Prestige :-) That said, it's quite different to the film and it's one of those rare occasions where I prefer the movie (the Nolans did a terrific job adapting the best bits and leaving the less exciting bits out!).

    Thank you for visiting my WWW post earlier (https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/www-wednesday-3rd-august-2016/) and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited! Ah, I thought The Prestige (book) might not be quite as good - just because I've never heard of it, haha, but still looking forward to reading!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea The Prestige was a book, either. Definitely checking that out! I loved the movie.

    Though I haven't read it, the racism in A Town Like Alice does not surprise me. At the time it was written, Aboriginal Australians were not yet even considered Australian citizens and their children were still forcibly being removed from their families and raised "white". Awful stuff.

    Here's my WWW: https://keysandopenmind.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/www-and-wippet-wednesday-03-august-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess it's of it's time - but because it was quite sympathetic towards the Japanese (especially being written just after the war) the stuff about the aborgines felt like it came out of nowhere. I loved The Prestige (film) too :D

      Delete
  4. I liked Me Before You but I have been hesitant about reading After You because I didn't know how things would be like without Will. Reading your post just made me more hesitant, it doesn't sound as good as the first book :-( Enjoy your books for this week.

    Here is my WWW:https://ahavenforbooklovers.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/www-wednesday-august-3rd/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had it's good points, and everyone was still in character - it just wasn't as good as the first book, like you said :(

      Delete
  5. After You will be next read and I am apprehensive considering its mixed reviews. I am really looking forward to seeing how Lou got on though, so hopefully I'll enjoy it :)

    I'm seeing Cursed Child in December, so I know how you feel! I'm trying my best to avoid all mention of it on social media. I did cave and bought the book on Sunday, but I WILL NOT be reading it. This is going to take serious will power!

    Also it wouldn't let me post from my Wordpress account for some reason, so I'm anonymous!

    My WWW: https://bathtimereads.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/www-wednesday-3rd-august-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was nice to have more of Lou, even if it wasn't necessarily the more I wanted. That will take will power, haha, don't think I could have the book in the house and resist the temptation!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know 'The Prestige' was a book, either. I hope it's great. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

The King and I: Live action (1956) vs Cartoon (1999)

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!