Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books I read on a whim...





Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is books I've picked up on a whim. I'm not that spontaneous when it comes to books, usually I'll only buy something new if there's a film adaptation coming up, if someone recommends something or I think it's about time I read x famous book. I'm a big re-reader, if you haven't guessed.  Occasionally though, a pretty cover or a fun premise will grab my eye, and below are some of the results:



Fever Pitch
by Nick Hornby


Well, really I picked this up because I caught  the film on TV last week (the original with Colin Firth, not the baseball one) but I was curious to see how Nick Hornby had adapted his football fan memoir into a fictional film. Considering I know very little about football (and if I did I'd be a Liverpool supporter) I enjoyed reading about his obsession with Arsenal. Look out for a review soon!




Longbourn
by Jo Baker



Pride and Prejudice as told by the servants, this sounded fun. It was to begin with, but the characters weren't likeable enough so the premise wore thin. And it got weird at the end. 



The Luxe
by Anna Godberson




I picked this up because of the pretty cover. There are four books in the series, and they're trashy but good fun. Basically it's Gossip Girl set at the turn of the 19th century. The characters could be better developed, particularly the boys, but the plots were nice and twisty.



The Prophecy of the Gems
by Flavia Bujor




This was written by a fourteen year old, which will forever make me feel inferior. I discovered this book when I was ten or eleven, and loved it. It was exactly the kind of book I wished I'd written myself. The story follows three young girls - a lady, a commoner and a peasant (Jade, Opal and Amber) on some kind of quest. I can't remember much about it and if I read it now it'd probably read like fanfiction, but I do remember that it was surprisingly original, with a real fairytale feel.



Sovay
by Celia Rees



A book about a teenage, female highwayman? What's not to like? A lot, as it turns out. This wasn't that great, although there were good bits. As my sister put it at the time: what did I expect? If she's a highwayman, why is she wearing mascara on the cover?



Beatrice and Benedick
by Marina Fiorato



The story of Beatrice and Benedick (from Much Ado About Nothing)'s first meeting. Why has this not been written before? I was enjoying it (see review here) but then I lost it in the house somewhere and by the time I found it again I'd moved on to other things. It was fun though, I'll have to go back to it at some point.


Sharpe's Eagle
by Bernard Cornwell



I'd heard of Sharpe and I'd seen bits of old episodes on TV, but I'd never really considered reading the books as I always thought of them as a 'man's' series. I'd never met a girl who was into them. But then I finished my third year dissertation and was hanging around my uni house at a bit of a loose end. The Bangor WH Smiths doesn't have the biggest variety, so I picked up the first book (that was written, not the first chronologically) and have never looked back. They're good, although they are a bit on the manly side. There's loads of battle tactics and the female characters are under-developed.



13 Little Blue Envelopes
by Maureen Johnson



No idea why I bought this one. I liked it though! Seventeen year old Ginny's aunt Peg dies, leaving Ginny some instructions, in the form of thirteen little blue envelopes. Basically Peg wants her to travel, so one envelope might say go to this bank account, get out x amount of money and go to  England, etc. It was a fun little story, although the end was so frustrating. The biggest revelation though, was that people don't drink squash in America. How do they live!!


The Dish
by Stella Newman



I bought this in the airport on the way to Ibiza, because I'd forgotten to pack a beach read. There was very little choice in that airport. The Dish is about an anonymous food critic who writes a career-ruining review for a restaurant and then falls for the chef. Should she tell him who she is?  It was a fun premise (a bit You've Got Mail -ish) but there wasn't much more to it than that. If you were a real foodie maybe it'd be more interesting, but I'm not, particularly. And I didn't really warm to the main girl.


Alanna: the First Adventure
by Tamora Pierce



I got this out the library for a reading lesson in year seven, and quickly got addicted. 10 year old Alanna wants to be a knight while her twin brother wants to study magic, so they switch places and Alanna heads off as 'Alan' to train as a squire. This series had so much drama! I remember telling my cousin the plot in installments on our walk to school, especially when I got onto the later books and Alanna had all these romantic entanglements. I was very much team George.



Have you read any of these? Ever found your favourite book on a whim? Let me know in the comments!






Comments

  1. 13 Little Blue Envelopes is on my TBR list and I've always wanted to read some of Nick Hornby's work. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nick Hornby's really good - 'Funny Girl' is my favourite of his so far :)

      Delete
  2. I love Nick Hornby's fiction but I've never read any of his non-fiction stuff. I've heard good things about Fever Pitch, though, and I'm interested to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good - nothing really happens (except football games) but I did like it for some reason!

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness! I have "Prophecy of the Gems" as well! But mine's the older version so it's actually titled "Prophecy of the Stones" and the cover is a bit different. I picked that one up on a whim too! I think maybe at a used booksale.

    "Beatrice and Benedick" looks interesting! Might have to check that one out!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I saw it titled as 'Prophecy of the stones' somewhere, but wasn't sure if that was the title for different countries or something. Would recommend Beatrice and Benedick - what I've read so far anyway :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read many of these myself. The only one I have read in fact is 13 Little Blue Envelopes which was a quick and easy read. I know, how can you not drink squash. Squash is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Luxe is on my list for this week as well. I couldn't resist the pretty dress cover. I have all four of the books, but I haven't read any of them yet. I really should binge read them this year. I have 13 Little Blue Envelopes, but I haven't read it yet either. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Luxe covers are soo lovely - they are worth reading though too, they're nice and quick to read :D

      Delete
  6. Woooow, way to bring a blast from the past. I remember The Prophecy of the Stones from WAY back when. XD And I actually got Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes when it was a freebie for Kindle. Glad to know it was good, if a little frustrating.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've followed you via BL and look forward to seeing what else you post. ^-^

    Brittany @ Space Between the Spines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they changed the name? 'Prophecy of the Stones' sounds better I think! Thanks for the follow :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!