Spontaneous Singing moments in Non-Musicals




Bit of a random post today, but I was re-watching one of my favourite films last night and it got me thinking. Everyone loves a good musical, but sometimes the best musical moments can come from non musical films. Whether it's romantic, rousing or just for the pure joy of it, a spontaneous bout of singing in a film always makes for a memorable scene. Below are some of my favourites - can you think of any others? (For more musical moments, check out my favourite spontaneous dance scenes or these songs from books.)



10 Things I Hate about You 
- Can't Take my Eyes off You



In this modern day adaptation of Taming of the Shrew, Heath Ledger's Patrick Verona makes a grand, romantic gesture, sacrificing himself 'at the altar of dignity' for Julia Styles' Kat. He might not be the best singer in the world, but with that smile, it doesn't matter.



27 Dresses 
- Benny and the Jets



Katherine Heigl and James Marsden dancing to Benny and the Jets  - and singing all the words wrong - is the one scene from 27 Dresses that I always wait for. His character's a cynic, her's is the perfect bridesmaid, but for once they forget about all that and just enjoy themselves.




Far from the Madding Crowd
 - Let no Man Steal Your Thyme


Adapted from the Thomas Hardy novel, I wasn't a huge fan of the film but I loved this scene. I didn't know Michael Sheen could sing! Even though he's not the main love interest I thought there was a lot of chemistry there too - and I love Gabriel's facial expressions.




The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (part 1)
- The Hanging Tree


I always thought Katniss's singing could have been made more of in the books, so I liked that 'the Hanging Tree' was included in Mockingjay. A haunting rebel song, it's message helps to rouse the oppressed districts.



Pride
 - Bread and Roses


Another rousing chorus, this scene from Pride shows the miners' wives and the rest of their community standing together in the face of hunger and the failing strike. Their hope and solidarity is inspiring to everyone in the hall, the singing is lovely and all their reactions always make me tear up. 




Anchorman 
- Afternoon Delight


Got to be honest, I really didn't get the hype around Anchorman, but this scene did make me smile. Ron Burgundy tries to explain to the news team what it feels like to be in love...




Amazing Grace
 - Amazing Grace


Ioan Gruffudd singing! What's not to like? Based on the story of William Wilberforce, who fought to abolish the slave trade, Gruffudd plays the man of the moment and the film is named for the famous song, that we learn was written by a repentant slaver. 




My Best Friend's Wedding 
- Say a little prayer for you



There might be one huge flaw with My Best Friend's Wedding (the best friend of the title is so not worth fighting over) but there are a couple of great scenes that I always watch out for. One is Julia Roberts' failed attempt to sabotage Cameron Diaz at the Karaoke, the other is this spontaneous sing-song (where our heroine's friend embarrasses her while pretending to be her fiancĂ©e.)  This film would be nothing without Rupert Everett.



Zulu
- Men of Harlech


In this classic film based on a true story, the British soldiers at Rorke's Drift - largely Welshmen - are massively outnumbered by their enemy, whose threatening war chants echo down the valley to the frightened men. When their Lieutenant asks if the Welsh can't do better than that, they break into a stirring rendition of 'Men of Harlech'. 



Casablanca 
- French National Anthem


And finally, when it comes to stirring songs in movies, it's hard to beat this famous moment in Casablanca. Victor Laslow leads Rick's customers in a chorus of La Marseillaise, in defiance of the occupying Germans, and they take up his purpose with feeling.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!