Teaser Tuesday: Funny Girl





Time for another Teaser Tuesday - a weekly meme hosted at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can join in, all you need to do is:
 a) open your current read to a random page and share two teaser sentences.
 b) let us know the title and author and
 c) link back to the host blog and leave your link in the comments. Also, keep it spoiler free!

See my teaser below:







"And all the stuff about marriage...it's like it's just been stuck on. I mean, they're always arguing, but there's no reason for them to argue, is there? They're exactly the same. And he must have known she was a bit dopey before he proposed."

She got her first laugh from Clive then.

"You can shut up," Bill said to him.


Written by Nick Hornby (author of About a Boy, High Fidelity and currently in the Oscar race for his adapted screenplay Brooklyn) Funny Girl is the story of an I Love Lucy obsessed beauty queen from Blackpool, who wants to make it in television comedy. Ditching her Miss Blackpool title, she moves down to London in the heart of the swinging sixties to try and live her dream. It might sound a bit shallow, but Funny Girl has real heart. Barbara/Sophie is a likeable heroine and I was fond of the other main characters too - once I got my head around who was who. I loved all the BBC stuff, particularly the moment Sophie first meets 'the team' and the scene where Dennis goes on Pipe Smoke. I liked the camaraderie and hearing about the writing process. It really makes you want to be a part of it all - it did for me anyway.

I'm reading this for the second time, and checking on Goodreads, I was surprised to see that the reviews weren't great. People said it wasn't funny enough and that the story strayed away from Sophie too often in order to focus on the other characters. I didn't mind that, but I can see their point. I was the most interested in Sophie, and being directed towards Bill or Dennis (or whoever) just as her story was getting interesting did take you out of it a bit. I disagree that it wasn't funny  - I definitely laughed out loud a few times - but I think really, it was more of a light drama about comedy, than a comedy itself. It was more about people's attitudes to comedy, how comedy is built and created and about show business in general. Anyway, I'd recommend it. It was a fast read, although it slowed down a bit towards the end (and I think we could've done without that whole last bit after the time jump) and it was good fun. I think I need to read some more Nick Hornby now!





Comments

  1. I think I would like this - will add it to my TBR list. My TT is from a favourite children's classic: http://indie-bookworm.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/teaser-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a read I think. I'll check yours out :)

      Delete
  2. Love the teaser! I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/teaser-tuesday-lady-of-bolton-hill-12616.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ever read Nick Hornby's books, but reading your review and the TT with it, I have to say I'm tempted to track him down:). This is my Tuesday Teaser offering...
    https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/teaser-tuesday-26th-january/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I liked 'About a Boy' as well when I read it, though it's a bit different from the film. Think I'm going to try 'High Fidelity' next!

      Delete
  4. Great teaser -- I wonder how many people think their spouse will change once they are married.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read. Glad you enjoyed it.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, it was a fun book!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a fun read.. I haven't read anything by this author before, so def something new for me.. Thanks for sharing! :)

    My Teaser Tuesday
    Punkie @Fluttering Hearts Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and it was fun! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds good! Might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would recommend! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. Love the sound of this one, from the time period to the situations. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “A MAN CALLED OVE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think the sixties is dead interesting as a time period :) Will have a look at yours now

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun read. Here's the link to my TT from the book Mary Called Magdalene: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-19e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoyed it! Will check yours out now :)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed this book, hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!