Top Ten Tuesday: Books Santa could send me if he wanted...





The topic for this week's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish) is books we'd like for Christmas. People keep asking me this question but I can never think of anything when put on the spot. Now that almost everyone's finished their shopping, of course, I can think of loads. Or at least the kind of things I'd like. And here they are:



A classic with a pretty cover


I love looking at all the classic books with their fancy covers in Waterstones, but I can't really justify buying them for myself. We've probably got a tatty paperback version of most classics in the house anyway and knowing me I'll just drop them in the bath or whatever. Still, I wouldn't mind one like this as a present - I'd probably go for Mansfield Park as it's the only Jane Austen I don't have a copy of and I'm probably due a re-read.



Something studious 


Since I'm more than halfway through my Screen-writing MA now, I feel like I should read this book as the lecturers keep recommending it. Basically I've got to do some work.



Something girly


I don't read much chick-lit but I feel like if I got into the genre I could get addicted. I loved the film adaptation of Austenland so maybe Shannon Hale might be somewhere to start?



Something I've been putting off


I know that this came out ages ago, but I've only recently decided that I'm brave enough to read it. I didn't want to ruin Atticus for myself after reading the reviews. but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care that much. Go Set a Watchman is essentially a first draft after all - the Atticus of To Kill a Mockingbird will always be the real deal. 



A cookbook


If I'm to fulfil my dream of being just like Mary Berry when I'm her age, I'm going to have to learn to bake. Or at least to make something other than pasta.


Because I saw the film...


I saw the adaptation of Brooklyn (starring Saiorse Ronan and some gorgeous costumes) the other week, and I really enjoyed it. The story of an Irish immigrant in America, I wonder if I'll like the novel as much as Nick Hornby's screenplay.


Because I want to watch the series...


It's probably unrealistic to think I'll read this before the BBC mini-series comes out, but I'd like to give it a shot! 


One thing I can't wait for!


This doesn't actually come out until after Christmas but I'm so excited. As she did with The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot has released a new addition to her Mediator series where the teenage protagonist - in this case Suze Simon - is all grown up. Although Royal Wedding was a bit of a let-down, I've got my fingers crossed for this one as the teaser (on Meg Cabot's blog) was really good.



A piano book


Since I gave up lessons, my piano playing skills have regressed to the stage where I can play roughly two pieces, and not even all the way through. Still, I have been learning Fairytale of New York recently, which is coming on very nicely if I do say so myself. It's encouraged me and I'm going to start practising again. Honestly.



Something completely different



Because surprises are sometimes the best thing about Christmas.


So that's my list. What books are you after this 24th December? Let me know in the comments if you're feeling in a charitable Christmas mood.  And Merry Christmas xx








Comments

  1. I really love the way you did your list! I LOVE getting surprises (either books or otherwise) because it's such a great feeling when you get sg you never expected/thought you wanted, and it is PERFECT for you! Let's not mention the surprises that went wrong.
    Oooh, I can't wait for Remembrance! Unlike you, I actually really loved Royal Wedding, but I have even bigger hopes for this one because I've always adored the Mediator series the most from all of Cabot's novels.
    Hope you'll get some of these - if not now, at least next Christmas! :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like some things about Royal Wedding (that proposal!) but I felt a bit like she gave us all these new random plot points with no time to develop them. I think the Mediator series is my favourite too :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I would read any of these that I haven't already. I have wanted a copy of War and Peace for a long while and should have had it on my list as well. I love the way you chose to do your list. Surprises are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know almost nothing about War and Peace but since it's a classic I'm guessing it's good!

      Delete
  3. I love your list! It's a great one :) I hope you get some of these books this Christmas.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    Elien @ So Bookalicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list! I like the idea of classics with a pretty cover as well, but I'd be too scared to read them in case of spillages etc., even though I'm super careful when I'm reading. I hope you get find some great books under your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Go Set a Watchman when it was released - and I felt the same way: To Kill A Mockingbird will always be the real deal. I saw the trailer for Brooklyn and really liked the looks of it. I'll have to look for the book!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you can't beat To Kill a Mockingbird - and Brooklyn is definitely worth watching I think :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No prince for Moana? Favourite Romantic Disney Moments

WWW Wednesday: Magicians, Kings and Singletons

What I'm Watching: Romeo and Juliet Live!