Teaser Tuesday - Career of Evil



Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by adailyrhythm.com, and anyone can join in. All you need to do is: a) open your current read to a random page and share two teaser sentences. b) Let us know the title and author and c) link back to the host blog and leave your link in the comments. Also, keep it spoiler free!

My teaser this week is from Robert Galbraith's (AKA J.K Rowling's) third Cormoran Strike mystery, Career of Evil which I just finished within, like, two days. There was good and bad to it, but it definitely hooked me!




'"I'll deal with Brockbank, if he's in there," said Strike, lighting up. "You're not going anywhere near him.                                                                           
Robin got back into the Land Rover.                     
"Try not to punch him, won't you?" she muttered at Strike's retreating figure as he walked with a slight limp towards the house, his knee stiff from the journey.

This is the third book of the series, and - true to J.K Rowling's usual form - they're getting darker. Sometimes I worry for her mental health, I'll say that much, because The Silkworm was definitely gruesome, but parts of this are even harder to read. Where The Cuckoo's Calling dealt with the world of celebrity and the second book was all about publishing and writers, Career of Evil is concerned with sexual violence against women. Prostitution, rape, women's treatment in the media, it's all in there, and there's always a fine line when it comes to this kind of stuff. At what point does it become gratuitous? I'd definitely say that some of the descriptions (especially from the killer's point of view *shudder*) are much too graphic, but generally I think these themes are safe in J.K Rowling's hands. You can see she's got a point to make, and there's empathy there. It's not just one big, shallow plot device.

Although I don't that think this is the strongest of the series, mystery-wise, I raced through it much faster than the first two - perhaps because I'm in deep with the central characters now. I love Strike (Cornwall bred ex-military man turned private detective, the one-legged, illegitimate son of a rock-star and a 'supergroupie') and Robin (occasionally Hermionie-ish, glamorous temp turned aspiring sleuth, from Yorkshire) and the way that their relationship is developing across the novels. More like mentor and protegee than hero and glamorous assistant, (at least, by this book) who knows where their friendship will lead them?

A dark, but gripping detective novel, Career of Evil, lingers in the mind after reading, but you'll want to hear more from Strike and Robin (I did anyway). The three books of the series so far are also due to be adapted for the BBC, hopefully some time next year, but no casting has been announced as of yet (for my thoughts on this, see my post at Based on the Book). I can't wait!

Have you read any Cormoran Strike or got a teaser to share? Let me know in the comments!





Comments

  1. My husband really wants to read this. He's read the other ones and he's hooked. Here's my TT http://drchazan.blogspot.com/2015/12/teaser-tuesdays-december-1-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do hook you in, haha - this was at least as good as the last two I thought. Thanks, I'll check yours out :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any "Robert Galbraith" yet. I really must - they sound very good judging by your comments. Thanks for visiting my blog to check out my Tuesday Teaser which is from a charming novella with a lovely Christmas setting.
    http://indie-bookworm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/teaser-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by too, I've really enjoyed the series so far - so much better than 'the Casual Vacancy'!

      Delete
  3. I really liked the first two and am looking forward to this one. I too am invested in the characters.

    I'm playing (with a giveaway) at Beth Fish Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JK Rowling always was good on character! I'll have a look at yours now :)

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to figure out the point of writing under a pseudonym when everyone knows who you really are! Having said that, it does sound intriguing. My TT is from a Tudor history book by Philippa Gregory: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-12O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious about that, too; but then, perhaps, with an "alter ego" she can depart from the Harry Potter world.

      Delete
    2. It does seem like there's not much point now the secret's out, but I guess there's still a few people that might just pick up one of the books on the off-chance, not knowing it's J.K Rowling? And like you say, maybe being 'Robert' helps her get into the different mindset :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't like the Harry Potter books, so that is probably why I haven't tried this series. But maybe I should give it a shot. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE GUEST ROOM”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might still like these, depends what you disliked about Harry Potter - if it was just the fantasy/children's book side you should be fine - but you definitely still tell it's J.K Rowling writing - the crazy character names are a dead give-away, haha

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about J. K. Rowling's "Robert Galbraith" books and will read them eventually. This one sounds like it may be a little bit too dark for me.
    My Tuesday post features the Rawhide ‘n Roses anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second two are pretty dark - first one's not too bad though and the characters are great :) Thanks for reading, I'll check yours out :)

      Delete
  7. I still have the first book on my Kindle unread. I really will have to get to it one day. My teaser this week comes from Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would definitely recommend :) Will have a look and happy reading too!

      Delete
  8. I haven't yet read this series, but I want to. It's good to know it gets darker as you go. I don't mind that too much--but it is something that I like to know going in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to know as well, just so I'm prepared! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts