Teaser Tuesday - Beatrice and Benedick




Going to try and get the features started early on this blog! Teaser Tuesday is a weekly tag over at A Daily Rhythm  and anyone can join in. Here's the rules:

1. Grab your current read...
2. Open to a random page...
3. Share two teaser sentences from somewhere on that page (no spoilers!)
4. Don't forget to share the title and the author's name.

I'm ready for it this week, since for once I'm actually reading something new (as opposed to comfort reading an old Narnia/Harry Potter/Jane Austen, as is the usual). My teaser comes from Beatrice & Benedick by Marina Fiorato...






"Giving her the Settebello card was a good start. It usually worked; ladies were intrigued, flattered and full of questions. They always asked about the card first, and then I could get on with the serious business of making them laugh. But this lady did not wait for me to marshal my wit. She spoke first. And she did not mention the card."

Told from the alternating points of view of Beatrice and Benedick, this book takes the story of the primary (or the most interesting, anyway) lovers from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and weaves its own version of their first meeting and the beginning of their love affair. As the original play makes it clear that the couple have 'history' I'm actually really surprised that this idea hasn't been done before (although there have been re-tellings - I loved the BBC's Shakespeare re-told version!) And I'm enjoying the book so far. I was a bit worried about the language, and whether it'd try too hard to be 'Shakespeary', but I think the author gets the balance right, and Beatrice and Benedick feel true to character. (I've not got that far in, so I can't guarantee that for the whole book, but it's true for the first few chapters at least!) 

I'd recommend Beatrice and Benedick to any fans of Much Ado or anyone into (fluffy-ish) historical chick-lit. And if you've got a teaser this week I'd love to hear your recommendations too!





Comments

  1. Oh I love retellings like this. sounds like a fun, light book.

    My teaser plus giveaway is at Beth Fish Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good fun so far! Thanks, I'll check yours out :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely cover and the writing flows well, reads easily. Sounds good!

    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/11/17/teaser-tuesdays-136-h20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too, it's so pretty!

      Delete
  3. Oh Much Ado is my favorite!!! I'll definitely have to get this! I've got a cozy mystery with a Thanksgiving theme this week http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2015/11/teasertuesday-37-diva-runs-out-of-thyme.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite too :) I hope you enjoy it if you do get it, I have been! Will have a look at yours now :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Shakespeare and this sounds right up my alley. I hadn't heard about it so will definitely look into it. Adding it to my list right now!! Thanks for sharing. My teaser is from a young readers book by Avi that I've just started reading: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-11y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice mixture of Shakespeare and fluff, which I love! Thanks for stopping by, and I'll have a look :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous cover, and now I'm intrigued by the excerpt. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine:
    “TRUTH BE TOLD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover convinced me to buy it, haha. I'll check your teaser out :)

      Delete
  6. I confess I am not a fan of Shakespeare's plays, but this book does sound like it would be a fun read. I like the teaser you shared--it definitely piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely more easy going than Shakespeare anyway, haha - thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts