Baby It's Cold Outside...





The soundtrack to this time of year is a familiar one. There's only so many Christmas songs, and with Christmas coming earlier and earlier each year (the Coca -cola advert has been on already. It's still November!) you've probably already heard most of them played at least once. As I see it, you can either let yourself be driven slowly mad, or just embrace the crazy.




One of my favourite Christmas songs - particularly at this stage, when it's too early for the proper anthems  - is 'Baby it's Cold Outside'. Despite the slightly dubious theme (I wouldn't go as far as to call it a date rape anthem, but maybe it's a little creepy in parts) it's a great tune, with clever lyrics and always delivered with style. I realised however, that I didn't know where the song came from - I had an idea that Tom Jones had covered it once, but knew it must have dated back much earlier. Turns out it's from an old Hollywood musical called Neptune's Daughter. The film looks...bizarre - but the scene is great. I especially like the role reversal with the second couple!



The Original 
(Neptune's Daughter, 1949)

                                                              


I'm going to have to watch this at some point, but whether its any good or not, it's clear that 'Baby it's Cold Outside' is the film's lasting legacy. There have been loads of great covers and send-ups of the song over the years, but here are some of my favourites:



Michael Buble and Idina Menzel



Miss Piggy and 
Rudolf Nureyev (famous Russian dancer)



Cameron and Lindsay
(The Glee Project)




Zooey Deschanel and Will Ferrell
(Elf)




Comments

  1. Oh The Muppets rendition of that song! I remember watching that and my aunt laughing hysterically through the whole thing. :D

    The version sung by Michael Buble and Idina Menzel is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen the Muppet version before I was looked up different versions for this blog - I'd been missing out, love Miss Piggy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts